The WRT54G, WRT54GS, WRT54GL and WRTSL54GS are members of a very popular series of wireless routers produced by the American company Linksys, which in 2008 was bought by another American company, Cisco. The WRT54G was first released in 2003, based on a Linux OS firmware. Since 2005 the WRT54G manufactured devices work on the VxWorks OS. To provide support for Linux-based firmware, Linksys has renamed the original type routers with Linux in WRT54GL from WRT54G.
These routers are suitable for sharing Internet in small networks (for home or small companies).
The fame of the WRT54G model comes from the fact that it is the first consumer-level router that uses a firmware that is based on a free operating system (Linux).
From the WRT54G initial model came out the following:
- WRT54GS – model incorporating SpeedBooster technology which improves wireless performance by up to 35%.
- WRT54GL – After the Linksys WRT54G gave up fitting their equipment with Linux firmware they noted that significant lost in the market share, represented by the enthusiasts who use the G because of the possibility of using it with a modified firmware. As a response, the WRT54GL model was launched, where the “L” letter comes from Linux, as the successor of WRT54G, ver4.
Basically this is a 3 in 1 equipment:
- Wireless Access Point (AP), equipped with two antennas, wireless connectivity 802.11b (11Mbps) and 802.11g (54Mbps) with wireless capable equipments (laptops, desktops, PDAs, etc…)
- A switch with 4 ports full-duplex 10/100Mbps Ethernet 802.3. Each port supports Auto-Crossover (MDI / MDI-X). To expand the number of ports you can use an additional switch.
- Finally, it is of course a router that connects everything together and allows your entire network share a high speed cable or DSL internet connection
The WRT router family does not support Gigabit Ethernet connections.
If you are looking to find information about how to setup Linksys WRT54G please continue reading this article as I am sure it will give you a great insight into this matter.
Below you can find the full specifications of this Linksys router:
|Standards||IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b|
|Channels||11 Channels (US, Canada)|
|13 Channels (Europe, Japan)|
|Ports/Buttons||Internet: One 10/100 RJ-45 Port|
|LAN: Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports|
|One Power Port|
|One Reset Button|
|One SecureEasySetup Button|
|Cabling Type||CAT 5|
|LEDs||Power, DMZ, WLAN, LAN (1, 2, 3, 4), Internet, SecureEasySetup|
|RF Power||18 dBm|
|Security Features||Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall, Internet Policy|
|Wireless Security||Wi-Fi Protected Access™2 (WPA2),WEP, Wireless MAC Filtering|
|Dimensions||7.32” x 1.89” x 6.06” (186 x 48 x 154 mm)|
|Weight||13.09 oz. (371 g)|
|Power||External, 12V DC, 0.5A|
|Certification||FCC, IC-03, CE, Wi-Fi (802.11b, 802.11g), WPA2, WMM|
|Operating Temp.||0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)|
|Storage Temp.||-20°C to 70°C (-4°F to 158°F)|
|Operating Humidity||10% to 85% Non-Condensing|
|Storage Humidity||5% to 90% Non-Condensing|
The linksys wrt54g setup is rather simple. All you have to do is to access the web-based interface from your favorite web browser by typing the Linksys WRT54G default IP address that is 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter. You will be prompted to enter the username and password. If you are accessing the interface for the first time, just leave the user field BLANK and use the following Linksys WRT54G password (the default password): admin. After that click OK and continue.
Fig.1: Linksys router login screen
In the first screen that you will see you will be able to change the Linksys WRT54G settings. Select what kind of Internet connection you have from the drop down menu. Your ISP should offer you this kind of information. You will be able to select from the following types:
- Automatic Configuration – DHCP
- Static IP
- Telstra Cable
Fig.2: Linksys WRT54G setup screen
A good feature that you should be aware of is the RESET to factory defaults. If it happens to forget the password you can do the hard reset by pressing the red reset button on the back of the Linksys WRT54G router for 5 seconds. If you just want to reset the configuration data and you can access the web based utility go to Administration -> Factory Defaults.
You can download the Linksys WRT54G manual here. For more informations regarding linksys WRT54G firmware and detailed setup Linksys router informations check back for future posts on these topics.